Monday, December 21, 2009

Cinema’s Amazons and Cyborgs - MP3 of my chat on Changesurfer Radio with Dr. J. Hughes

Citizen Cyborg: Why Democratic Societies Must Respond To The Redesigned Human Of The FutureDr. James Hughes, IEET Executive Director, a bioethicist and sociologist at Trinity College in Hartford Connecticut and author of the book Citizen Cyborg interviewed me on Changesurfer Radio, which is also featured on IEET.org and can be subscribed and downloaded via itunes as well.

Listen to the MP3 at:
Cinema’s Amazons and Cyborgs

 We do talk about my newest book project, with Scott Tapio also:
RISE OF THE MACHINES: Robots, Androids and Cyborgs Invade Cinema


I have to say, it's very sobering for me to do interviews like this. I lost a breast last year and that was traumatic, but I feel it as if I have lost a piece of my brain also. Ever since enduring chemo (FAC) a few years ago, I have suffered a massive lapse in memory in certain ways, specifically in naming and labeling of things. I'm not just a little bit forgetful now, or just suffering the natural effects of getting older as many people say. My life changed drastically in certain ways. They call it "chemo brain" and only just beginning to acknowledge this is a problem. Drug companies definitely want to keep this matter suppressed. I opted not to undergo chemo again this time despite dire warnings because this has been such a problem for me.

Now when I meet people, I go through elaborate systems to remember them, creating "case files" for everyone on my iphone and elaborate systems of notes when I work on books and projects. I use a series of alarms on my iphone throughout the day to help me remember to do things that should be simple. It is really far worse than people understand or acknowledge. The only thing I can do is work out better systems to deal with it.

Share

No comments: