Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Do fish have dreams?

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans [Blu-ray]"There's a deranged grandeur to Nicholas Cage's performance . . ."

I read the blog entry in Noir Journal #6 and I think it says it all.  Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call, New Orleans is one of my favorite films of the year (along with the Coen Brother's A Serious Man).  See the entry at the link below:

Noir Journal #6: Film Noir in Color Part 2, Bad Lieutenant - Noir Journal . . . investigating noir fiction and film

A.O. Scott's New York Times review referred to it as an "anarchist film noir" and I think that describes it well. The post-Katrina swampy landscape and reptilian camera angles paint a unique new picture of film noir in color. I'm reminded of William Burroughs' description of New Orleans.

No comments: